Monday, February 20, 2012

Technology Self-Assessment School 2.0

NETS 1; Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. I watched a TED video: http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

Ken Robinson in the 20minute video talks about how school is killing creativity, and that we're being robbed of creativity because we're afraid to fail. Society and education in general have put math and languages among the top valued subjects that everyone should learn. Robinson addresses the fact that all societies have put creativity and arts at the bottom of what is valued. I found it very interesting and I agree with what he had to say. It reminds me of something I learned a few years ago. America since the 1960s, educationally speaking, has moved away from the liberal arts and focused more on math/science. Latin was among the typical subjects focused on in school, but due to the arms race and the race to the moon, those in charge have decided that math and science are the ideal subjects.

Here's the problem: Not everyone is wired to be math or science dominant. I agree with Robinson in the fact that I too believe we are robbing the youth of their creativity and gearing them towards the "normal" education.

No comments:

Post a Comment